#EarthArXiv #OA uploading my unpublished work online

A week ago I came across a new ArXiv (repository) for Earth Sciences, called EarthArXiv. The original ArXiv has been very succesful in storing pre-prints versions for the Physics community, but so far never was extended to the Earth Science community until last week. As I support Open Access, this new ArXiv might be interesting to support.

At the moment, I am uploading all my work to ResearchGate, but since a couple of weeks, publishers have been pushing ResearchGate to remove uploaded work because these were violating the copyrights. I always tried to follow the rules on ResearchGate, so I never uploaded the Version of Record (VoR) if I didn't pay for the Open Access and I sticked to the Accepted Manuscript (AM), which is for example accepted for work published in Elsevier journals. Background information on self archiving policy. ResearchGate used to explain that their website fits within the term of a personal website, however ResearchGate made my contributions private without any notice.

So it might be interesting to look a bit more to EarthArXiv, which might be clearer about what type of work you can upload without violating the publisher copyrights, and you have a platform in which you can upload your pre-print even before your work is reviewed. I can tell all about the benefits of this, but they already did in this document. I was a bit sceptical about if the journal would allow pre-prints even before they published your work, but for the journals where I publish in, it is not a problem to put a pre-print online in advance (Overview of policy).

Finally, I decided to upload my work that is currently under review to #EarthArXiv. This work is about the phenomena of shoal margin collapses, which haven't been described that often in literature but that affects the morphodynamics in Estuaries. By uploading it in advance others might recognize this phenomena and maybe they have some interesting input before the final version gets accepted (but maybe this is wishful thinking).

I am very interested in how this will develop, but I will push this forward and try to get all my work on that server that isn't #OA yet. In the mean time, you can always go to my personal website and find my papers or contact me by mail.

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Mississippi River Delta and AGU Fall Meeting

#chasingthemud